Sunday, April 5, 2009

Process vs. Product

For most of my life so far, I've been a process knitter. I knit because something looks interesting or fun to knit or I'd like a challenge or want to learn a new technique. Lately though, I've been finding projects I want to knit because I want the finished product.

I know I've mentioned that we're doing the big Ireland trip this summer, and I find myself with all of these things I want to knit before Ireland so I'll have them. There are also some things I want to knit before Kate's wedding. I think making the Bleeding Heart Raglan has really changed how I see my knitting - now that I'm knitting for myself I want to make things that I want. Does that make sense?

For summer I really want to have:
  1. Enough socks to wear handknit socks the whole time. (This is a pipe dream. I have three pairs of handknit socks right now.)
  2. The Henly Hoodie - I have the yarn for this but it otherwise exists solely in my head. This is what I bought that Dream In Color Classy Deep SeaFlower for the other day.
  3. Wisconsin Heartwarmer. The first one took me about 4 months - if I'm going to finish I really need to start cooking. I haven't shown the blog a picture of this yet, by the way, because I'm still in the plain purple part.
  4. Hey, Tomato. This sweater makes me sad . . . but it could be so cute!
  5. Electric Blue Lenpur Linen top to go over that white dress.
  6. These stockings from Eunny Jang in the leftovers from the Wisconsin Heartwarmer. (Which means I have to finish it in order to have leftovers.)
All of these things on the list are for me, because I want them. I do think they'll be fun to knit, but more than that, I think I'll enjoy having the finished products.

There are other things I really need to knit too - those two sweaters I said I'd finish for a friend, (I really don't want to do it anymore though). Some sweaters for my folks I promised . . . I would need to order yarn to do that though. I also want to experiment with some Cathedral Window quilting and make a new double pointed needle roll.

Fortunately, it's spring break so I have reduced hours this week. Bring on the knitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment