Monday, April 13, 2009

Sundays are for Sewing


I've decided to declare Sunday a sewing day. I quite like sewing, when I do it, and I have a short queue of projects I've been planning on sewing for awhile now. Since I started the Cathedral Window last Sunday and had picked up some more fat quarters, I thought today (yesterday at this point) would be perfect.


I always said when I was teaching Sewing I that sewing is about 70% ironing, 30% sewing, but really, this Cathedral pattern feels like about 99.9% ironing. In reality it's not - all I did today was the machine piecing, I have hours yet of hand work to do on the little sample you see - but the truthiness of it (as Colbert would say) is that I have spent the day ironing.


There was a little more to my day than that, of course. Jorah and I went for a mini-bike ride, my first in maybe two and a half years. It was really quite fun - it was a beautiful day and we rode out to Tenney Park and looked at the lake.

I also knitted a teeny bit. Right now I've got that Henly Hoodie going, a pair of gold Child's First Socks, the Heartwarmer (stalled, need to pick back a bit to change needle size), and last night I started a baby blanket. It's based off the Big Bad Baby Blanket from Stitch & Bitch, which I don't have and haven't read, but I love that blanket, so I've unvented it.

I bought the yarn for it at the Hilton Hacienda Alpaca Farm outside of Plymouth - a friend and I went up to visit that friend who moved last summer, the one I made the Latvian Mittens for, and stopped there on the way back. The yarn is an alpaca blend sock yarn, and I'm quite loving the combination of holding two colorways together. I'm loving it so much that it's pretty much all I want to work on. But as I have now declared, Sunday is for Sewing.

The other big news! Someone on Ravelry bought my Kidsilk Night that I've been hemming and hawing about for the last almost two years. I finally realized I was never going to knit it and let it go. With the money she's paying me, I'm finally placed my first order from Blue Moon Fiber Arts. Not telling what I got - but I can't wait for it to get here!

No comments:

Post a Comment