Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Summer Project 2008


So last summer I decided that it was the perfect time to knit a big wool blanket in my apartment without air conditioning. It was a secret present for Jorah, who was out of town doing math. His secret passion (not so secret, he has a blog too) is baseball, especially the Chicago Cubs.


I worked a chart out using Excel (took forever) and knit the center part back and forth, and then picked up stitches and knit the border out. The blue section is basketweave and then the red/white stripe around the outside is garter stitch.


This was a really great project and I'm super happy with the finished result. It's made of O-Wool Classic, which is a beautiful, beautiful, lovely, soft, well spun organic wool. I'm really quite sad that we're not carrying it anymore - I vowed after I knit this that it was going to become my smooth-textured multi-ply solid-colored wool from here on out. It's a little more expensive than something like Cascade 220, but it is head and shoulders nicer and worth every penny.


This is one of my favorite projects, and one of the ones we use most frequently. Oh, it's finished size is about 47" x 58".

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this! It is amazing, and I bet it is warm... it makes ma smile... ~Marin from O~Wool

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great blanket! Would you share your pattern on ravelry?
    blkdog323 on ravelry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blanket is so amazing. My family LOVES the Cubs and would love your blanket. Please let me know if you ever publish your pattern. Kristi :) queenbee1958 on Ravelry

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is amazing! I grew up in IL. My dad took us to many many Cubs games growing up. My nephew and his wife are die hard Cubs fans. They even fly the "W" flag at their house. If you ever decide to share your pattern please let me know. (Suezee on Ravelry) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you still have the pattern for the Cubbie C? I've been searching for one for ever and your one is AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete