Monday, September 20, 2010

Premonition

Last spring, before we left Madison Jorah and I went on a little day trip to southwestern Wisconsin. We hit up some yarn stores and various other places of interest, but surprisingly my favorite stop that day was Country Sampler, a beautiful quilting shop in Spring Green. They had bolts and bolts of fabric and tons of kits and finished samples. I was very much in danger of purchasing a kit for a beautiful pink French Provincial quilt.

I've never actually finished a quilt, but when we were in high school my sister worked in a quilting shop and eventually I saw some of her projects over my mountain of knitting and started a quilt of my own. Over the years I have enjoyed going to quilting shows and looking through the books at JoAnn and other crafty places. I have also killed many, many of what would otherwise been productive hours scanning quilting blogs.

One thing that struck me during our visit to Country Sampler was the number of quilting books about Such-and-Such types of quilts from Texas, and Lone Star quilts, and 30 Quilts with Texas Stars, etc. I remember thinking that I might be in trouble.

Yesterday I went to Gauge Knits to take advantage of a delightful sale. I bought some more Jitterbug, because I can't resist it, and some needles and some yarn for swatching a design. This is the Jitterbug - so beautiful!


My mother-in-law loves green and I've never made her socks before. That is going to have to be corrected.


Isn't this Halloweeny and gorgeous? I want to have pumpkin feet.


This is just cool.

As I was checking out I saw a flyer about the Austin Area Quilt Guild having their annual show. It was closing up in four hours so I thought I'd run down and take a look. It turned out to be more dangerous than I had suspected. I walked out with this:


I don't know when I think I'm going to have time to make a little Christmasy quilt, but I couldn't just leave it there, it was so cute! The ladies at the stand were really nice too, and I'll have to visit their brick and mortar store.

I can't start another craft with another stash. I can't start another craft with another stash. I can't start another craft with another stash. I can't start another craft with another stash. I can't start another craft with another stash.

2 comments:

  1. Keep on telling yourself that, it wont work. I speak of experience... I wont tell you how many crafts I've started and got sizeable stashes from. Let's just say there are a possibility that I could open a shop and have all the stock before hand....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chiming in late to say...

    I sublimate quilting desires into another craft; I've got some knitted squares lying around somewhere that will one day be put together for a knitted quilt, and I've got quilt pattern mosaics I've made too. And once made cookies that could be assembled into quilting. It works (sorta)!

    ReplyDelete