Sunday, September 26, 2010

Let This Be A Lesson To Me

At the beginning of last week I saw a frantic Call for Submission for a design for a pair of socks - the publisher had a due date and her previous designer was unable to fulfill her contract. I spent much of the week frantically swatching and knitting samples to try and figure out what I wanted to submit.

I'm new to this, so it took a little time to get a plan I was happy with, something complicated enough that it wasn't self-evident, but not something that felt complicated for the sake of being complicated. I finally have a solid plan with photographs, and I discover that people are already hearing back. It's too late.

So I'm going to take away these points:

  1. I need to be faster.
  2. Things should be close to perfect, but they probably don't have to be completely perfect for the initial submission.
  3. I need to find the happy medium between extensive swatching and . . . not.


Also, I just realized that I never posted the finished pictures of the socks I was working on two weeks ago.



These are the Gentlemen's Fancy Socks by Nancy Bush from the amazing Knitting Vintage Socks. This is one of the best patterns in the world, and it's a great book. The yarn is that 400 yards of Jitterbug I was raving about the other day.

One of my friends knits socks like a whirling dervish and I've never understood how she's been able to have socks that she's never worn, but I think I'm finally reaching that critical mass. I still haven't worn these socks, or even the two pairs I finished right before. Of course, I live in Texas now where it's super hot and on the rare occasion I do leave the house I wear flip flops. So maybe that's the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment