Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Waterford Fair 2010

Oh, how I hope that 2010 becomes a necessary entry for this title.

Even before we moved to Waterford our family came to the fair. It’s always the first full weekend in October, and it’s one of the biggest craft fairs on the East Coast. I think it’s also one of the best.

One of the things that makes it so special is the high calibre of crafts sold here - beautiful white oak baskets, delicate sterling silver jewelry, handwoven shawls, and gorgeous original Primitive style art work. It was only with this visit I traced the origins of my love of Primitive.

Of course, the Fair wouldn’t be the Fair if it weren’t in Waterford.


Waterford is an 18th century village which has been surprisingly well preserved, due in large part to their draconian Association. They are the recipients of much criticism - some of which is merited - but no one can deny that without them the village would be much different than it is today.

It’s filled with beautiful old houses:


The Historic Old Mill:


The Old School:


And the Country Store:


On Fair Day there are performers:


Craftsmen demonstrating their wares:


And Fair Food:


As always I had a nose for the fiber and bought about 550 yards of this beautiful handspun and hand-dyed yarn:


It's 70/30 wool/angora. The bunny's name was Marilla, and I might be just thinking about that apple above, but I think it wants to be some beautiful, lofty, appley scarf for modern day Anne Shirleys to wrap around their throats on the way to the orchard, or the metro.

I also bought a beautiful handmade leather journal with graph(!) paper inside. I will be getting a lot of mileage out of that.

I'm so glad I got ot come home - it's my first fair in 9 years. Now if I could just come home for Maryland Sheep & Wool in May, I really would be the girl who had everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment