Monday, October 18, 2010

Some Things Stay the Same

Well, I’ve been back in Texas for nearly a week, but have to admit I’m still thinking of home. I had a truly wonderful visit; it turned out to be the perfect time of year and I’m so glad I got to see so many people and do so many things.

After the Waterford Fair, (during which I got to meet my new little cousin from the previous post) my family went down to Lake Anna, VA. When I was a kid my Grandmother and Grandaddy had a house on the lake there, and we used to go all of the time. They both died a long time ago, and I hadn’t been to the house, (which is now my aunt and uncle’s) in probably 15 years.

It was pretty great. It was a little bittersweet, of course, to see the changes in the place since I was little, but really it was great to see that it was in such good shape and so well loved by my aunt and uncle and their kids and grandkids.

They took us out on the boat, and it turned out to be a very quiet weekend with very few other people on the lake at all. In the afternoon we mostly sad on the porch and talked. It was pretty great.


Something that was especially wonderful was seeing the old dock next door. This was on the property next to Grandaddy’s, but we had the permission of the owners to use it and we used to fish and jump off the end of the dock. We liked this place the best because it had a sandy beach for swimming. I can’t tell you how strange it felt to see it again. This dock was a huge part of my childhood, but I hadn’t seen it in over 15 years and I never expected to see it again. But it was still there. Had been there, the whole time.



The next morning when I woke up it was just barely light out and there was all kinds of mist sitting on top of the lake in the cold morning air. Mom and I went for a walk and took photos. It was absolutely beautiful.


One of us got sunburned out on the boat. Me, of course. My pale Northern European forebears trying to tell me that just because it was cool out didn’t mean the sun wasn’t shining and for pity’s sake to put on a hat!

No comments:

Post a Comment