Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Summer Camp = More Fun When You're an Adult

I'd love to do posts where I say "Here's what I did today:" and then follow up with some photos, but the truth is that is just not going to happen - there is way too much going on here. It is the most I can do to get online one day out of three!

Anyway, here are some pictures and snippets!

Last week I learned how to warp an industrial loom:


As you can see, you spool up all of the colors you want to put on, set them on the rack in the correct order, and then thread them through the doohicky. Then you turn the back beam and the whole thing winds up. They go through the counter on the doohicky to make sure that you put enough warp on. Extremely cool.

This is a better picture of the weaving shop:


This view is from the top of the stairs looking across to the window. Below is a view from the window looking to the top of the stairs.


The whole place is pretty amazing. Today I learned how to make stepping stones with glass set in concrete (and how to score and break glass). We also worked with leather. Tomorrow it's copper enameling and stained glass - something I've always wanted to do, but it never occurred to me that it could be an option.

It's been crazy busy here the last couple of days, but we're finally done with the Orientation part of orientation and just have site training (which is fun!)

As far as knitting goes, I'm really frustrated with the HPKCHC right now to be honest. I am just at the heels of my Yoga Nutkins and those are fine, but I am crazy frustrated with the boot/slippers I'm attempting to make. One of them looks exactly the way I pictured it, and the other one is all crooked and annoying - HOWEVER - they are numerically identical. Honestly I just feel like scrapping the whole thing.

I am going to go back to my room now. I think I'm going to say "TO HELL" with the House Cup tonight and roll up my new skein of STR Heavyweight Love. It's going to be a baby surprise jacket. I am just going to knit it because I want to knit it. Period.

And here is a picture of my front porch:


I share this house with about a dozen other people. I am a lucky dog, aren't I?

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a great place to spend the summer. I hope you have tons of fun playing with all of those looms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss weaving so much! I used to do a lot of it then ran out of space to have my loom up and other things caught my attention and now it is sitting out in the shed all in bits stashed away, sigh. I just loved doing long carpets of scrap materials, did you ever do anything like that?

    ReplyDelete