Saturday, June 19, 2010

Greetings from Silver Bay!

My first week at camp has ended and I kind of love it. The work is work, but it’s great to be weaving again. I have an adorable little room in the grownup housing (a room of my own!) with a braided rug on the floor and my own sink. I have gotten to play with an inkle loom (my new favorite thing!) and learned how to put on an industrial warp.



I’m not getting a whole ton of knitting done . . . I’m going to bed at 10:00 at night because I have to be up by 6:15 or so. Most of my free time has been spent thinking about how I need to do my laundry and reading The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played With Fire.


They are pretty amazing. I’m almost finished with the second one, and then I have to wait until The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest comes out in paperback. I love all of the Swedish places in the books: Saltsjobaden, Strangnas, and Sotertalje. They are making me want to look for kickboxing studios when I move to Texas. They are real, complicated stories with real characters and an amazingly detailed sense of place. They are making me realize that most of the popular fiction I read is by Americans - I really should branch out.


Most of my knitting has been focused on Harry Potter projects - I’m working on my Jonagold Yoga Socks and my three OWL projects. I’m definitely not going to be able to do six projects the way I did last month. I was hoping to do a lot of knitting and designing while I’m up here, but we’ll have to see how it goes when I get more situated.


Orientation officially starts on Sunday. I hope to god there won’t be funtivities or management parables.


If you haven’t yet, go look at the new Blue Moon Colors - True Blood, Dilly Dilly, Drusilla, Spike, Slayer - Tina knows what I like! (vampires, old folk songs, and the colors - especially the True Blood)

2 comments:

  1. Vampire STR? Off to look!

    I'm glad you are loving it. It looks beautiful there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful setting for practicing fiber arts!

    ReplyDelete