Saturday, June 26, 2010

May Knitting

Looking back through my archives it seems like I didn't talk at all about the knitting I did in May for the HPKCHC. I actually did all six classes, and was pretty pleased with five of them. I know I've been talking recently about how frustrated I am with my OWL project and how I want to abandon it, (at least the main part of it) but I did do some really nice projects last month. Let's take a little tour.

Skew for SPEW Socks:


I knit the extremely popular Skew socks from Knitty. I found the pattern to be straightforward, easy to understand, and very enjoyable. Unfortunately the socks turned out too small, so they have gone to Florida to live with a dear friend.

My next favorite project was the delightful Sophie:


Of course all of Ysolda's patterns are beautiful and thoughtfully designed, but this one is also just adorable. Charms was a good excuse to knit it! I had a bunch of the pink and so decided to duplicate stitch the inside of the ears. I think next time I will find a tutorial for intarsia in the round. I know it can be done, my friend Kj can do it!

I have had this hat in my head for a while now and wanted to see if I can do it - the Viking Kiddo:


It's my own 'design' though as you can see it is an easy little hat. This is sized for a kid, so you are not able to see me model it, I know you are disappointed. I am particularly pleased with how the horns turned out.

At first I turned my nose up at the Herbology assignment, but finally I did knit this little flower, which is attached to a hair comb:


I think it's just lovely, but I don't know if I'm brave enough to wear it. I do wear my hair like this all the time - it's fun and it keeps it out of my way - but the flower might be a bit much.

I don't know if I'll be able to do any classes next month either. I only brought a bit of yarn to New York with me (definitions of 'a bit' are up for interpretation) and I'm really feeling the itch to start coming up with some things on my own. The temptation in the HPKCHC is to do a pattern by someone else, because everything is time sensitive and at least you know it will work out. They encourage you to knit your own stuff but I just don't know if I am that organized.

3 comments:

  1. I love my new socks. And I think you can totally rock the knitted flower in your hair - I think it looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can totally rock that flower. It is gorgeous on you.

    And for the Cup? Do your own thing than at the end of the month see if anything will fit a class with a good story. Sometimes you need to come first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be daring! Wear that beautiful flower! The worst thing that can happen is that you will get tons of compliments on it.

    ReplyDelete