Monday, March 29, 2010

End of an Era

Spoiler Alert: The end of this post contains a photo of the Notorious Sock Knitters' World Domination Tour Sock Club March 2010 shipment! If you don't have your yarny surprise yet, don't scroll down!

Sunday was my last day at the yarn store. I had been thinking about it for a while but finally got to the point last month where I just needed more time to myself. My other job has gone full time this semester, and after 27 days straight without a day off, I got to the point where I needed a break, so I gave my notice.

I am really, really sad to leave. I have been at Lakeside since February 2007 and I honestly believe I have learned more from working there than I learned in school. The textile program I was in really didn't focus on knitting and in the classes where I did knitting techniques I pretty much was designing my own curriculum. Working at Lakeside allowed me to rub elbows with other talented knitters, my coworkers, and of course the customers. I learned so much just from watching other people knit, not only about technique, but about what people like to knit and what is IN in knitting, and all of the yarns.

I'm going to be leaving Madison, probably for good, in August, as you well know if you're a regular. My husband has a post doc at the University of Texas in Austin, and so we're going to be moving south. There's also an outside chance that I'll be leaving sooner - I don't want to count my chickens or anything, but if everything I want happens I'll be leaving in June - and that's only two months away. I have so many more things to do on my 26 Things To Do in the Last Year List - I'm definitely going to need my weekends!

Got to shake off the gloom. Let's look at pretty pictures!


One of my friends at Lakeside gave me this as a going away present, it's Mountain Colors Bearfoot in Ladyslipper.


As far as my going away present to myself, I had to get a bunch of Claudia Handpaints Fingering. It's sold as sock yarn, though I wouldn't use it as such. I'm thinking baby clothes.


And as promised, the sock club shipment for March. I am very excited. At first I was not thrilled, but the photos in the patterns of this yarn knit up are gorgeous! And I love the name: My Wild Irishgirlie. I'm thinking this time I'll be knitting the Janet Laidmen pattern - I love the book The Secret Garden even though (reason #112 Why I Shouldn't Have a Knitting Blog) I personally hate to garden. I love the little flowers in the pattern. And I love that this is mediumweight.

I'm waffling about my Daybreak Shawl, by the way. It's all skewonkus on the edges and not nearly the nice big shawl I had my heart set on. I'm unsure about its future. Another thing I learned at Lakeside: If you don't like it, rip it!

No comments:

Post a Comment