Sunday, January 10, 2010

Happy Christmas to Me

I got some amazing yarn for Christmas from my amazing family, in addition to a couple of really great books. I'm all high on knitting right now because I just finished the stockings I intended to wear to my family Christmas party, a mere 18 days ago.





They aren't completely perfect, but I completely love them anyway. I left a little slit on each one in the picot at the top because I'm going to insert some elastic in there at some point. I'm especially excited because they are my second pair of toe-up socks, and I used the instructions in Wendy Knit's Socks From the Toe Up book to figure out how to reverse engineer the heels I wanted. I did have to do my own math, because I have really big feet and legs and the instructions didn't cover those stitch counts. Also, I like 72 sts around the foot and 80 around the ankle.

And now let's look at the Christmas haul:




My brother-in-law and his fiance (recipient of the mmmmmMalabrigo scarf and hat) gave me two skeins of lightweight STR in The Incredible Shrinking Violet and Lapis.




My parents-in-law gave me these two heavyweight STRs - Vine Maple and Jinglebell Rock. I think Vine Maple is going to become this baby sweater from the beautiful Vintage Baby Knits (also a Christmas present.) I think the Jingle Bell Rock may become something like these socks by my friend operarocks. We went to high school together and hadn't really been in touch for years, but she's quite an impressive knitter now and I love that I'm back in touch with her. Facebook, you've earned your keep. I also have some heavyweight Brick though . . . maybe I should make them out of that . . .



They also gave me mediumweight ST-1 and Strange Brew - and so did my cousins in Vancouver!!! I have two well matched skeins now, in each color! I don't yet know what's going to happen with ST-1 (it might be my favorite colorway ever) but I'm thinking that Strange Brew wants to be the Bellatrix Socks.

One of the most amazing things of all was a book my mother-in-law found for me - Soft Treasures of Little Ones: Baby Knits from Dale of Norway. I've been dying for this book for 6 years now, but it's out of print and almost impossible to find. When I've seen it in the past it's been upwards of $170. She found one in new condition and the seller must not have known what she had, because she definitely didn't pay that much. Let us all have a moment of silence for the cuteness of these baby pants.

When I got home I had another Christmas present waiting for me - my Old Maiden Aunt sock club yarn! It's the cashmere/merino/nylon blend, which is hands-down my favorite!

This is Seen The Ocean:



And Derelict Daughter:



I also got this totally cute bag, with two mini skiens. Wouldn't you know it, but the mini skiens are my favorite colors from the whole club!



When I was a little kid one Christmas I came out of my room and looked at what Santa had brought and said, "Oh, Mommy - it's a good day for presents!" That's how I felt the whole of break. Was a good day for presents.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Jenni, Thanks you for making me smile on what has otherwise been a dreadful morning. I'm also happy that you and I have "reconnected," or whateveryouwannacallit.

    And I LOVE that STR in the shrinking violet colorway. I'm feeling awfully covetous...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly - that Shrinking Violet yarn looks even more incredible in person. The fact that even I am wowed by it should speak volumes since I'm colorblind and can't see a wide range of purples.

    ReplyDelete