Monday, November 17, 2008

Distracto Vest

On Thursday night BIL (who is usually in Pennsylvania) called and said that he would be in town the next day - out of the blue. I had to hide the hat, which has been my tv knitting (most of it knit the night of the Presidential election). I was able to sit and talk for about 20 minutes before I utterly broke down and went to cast on for this:

Excuse the photo - tweedy cables are tricky in this light.

It's Estes Vest from the Fall 2008 Interweave Knits. I have been powering through it for the last few days - such a welcome distraction from Hey, Tomato which was making my wrist hurt from the miles of seed stitch and the fact that it has to be frogged again.

I'm kind of loving it. I made the biggest size, but my gauge is a little bigger than the pattern specs. It seems like it'll fit when I hold it up to myself, but it's definitely going to be pretty fitted. I'm also modifying the pattern quite a bit - the biggest complaint on Ravelry was that it was a little short, so I have added about 4.5" to the hem and 1.5" to the waist so far. The gray line through it marks the beginning of following the pattern, after the added length.

The yarn is Glenfiddich Wool that my parents bought for me at a craft fair ages ago. I feel bad now because I really wasn't feeling it when they gave it to me, but now I am completely in love with it. It's so springy and delightful and fun to knit with.

I haven't let myself knit too much today - it's been all about the coats - but I can't wait to finish it. I'm really looking forward to being able to wear it - and having never made a big project for myself before, I'm pretty excited.

This lovely lady has been helping me sew:

My angel of a Cocker Spaniel, Kira. Hanging in her chair.

No comments:

Post a Comment