Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Surprisingly Little to do with Robots

The Robot hat continues but a new picture would not be very interesting yet so instead we'll look at something else I've been working on today.


These are from Lizbeth Upitis's Latvian Mittens. I sometime go through extreme Yarn Harlot envy, and the result of one of the my earlier periods of such was the acquisition of this book. They've really taught me that no matter how good I think I am, there is always something out there waiting to kick me in the ass.

I honestly don't think a sweater would have been this hard - the difficult thing for me is reversing the pattern in my mind so they make a mirror, and making everything happen on the same row. If I didn't have to knit them identically, it would all make so much more sense. That's why I have to do them two at a time. This also helps with my Second Sock Syndrome. I never can knit the second one if I don't do it at the same time as the first. That's when Jorah comes in so handy - he can just go down a needle size or two and make the second one. If only we had a close enough gauge that we could tag team sweaters the same way . . .

Anyway, these mittens are a gift for a friend who moved away a few months ago. They were supposed to be ready for her going away party, but that didn't really work and then they sort of got shunted to the back of the queue for a while. I'm about twenty rows from starting decreases on each one and then it's just the thumbs. Now that I remember how close I am to finishing, these are going to get a higher priority.

No comments:

Post a Comment